Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I don't want to go to Sneaky Pete's

Sneaky Pete's was the mysteriously creepy Peterborugh restaurant my family stopped at for my birthday many, many years ago. We were on our way to the cottage we rented at Stony Lake, that rocky bottom'd jewel of the Kawarthas up in Lakefield. Anyhow, in Lakefield there were already several eateries that were Restauranta Non-Grata. My sister and I had even composed a cheerful ditty that we'd sing if any one of these dreadful places was suggested:

"I don't want to go to Dixie Lee's/ I don't want to go to Mama's Touch"

Hence my parent's choice of the yet to be explored and banned Sneaky Pete's. There were several strange occurances in old SP's. Some strange woman came up and insisted she knew my dad (I believe she called him by a different name). I know other oddities occured, but I'll have to check with my sister what exactly it was that made this place so weird, seeing as my memory lapses outnumber my memories. Beyond the confused identities, just recall an unsettling aura, like something out of a David Lynch movie. Should've known with a place called Sneaky Pete's.

Today is my second full day in Peterborough, and I'm wondering if Sneaky Pete's still exists. Life has been uneventful so far. Sunday was moving day, which went by without much hullaballoo. Monday I woke up terrified in a strange bed, but managed to settle myself. My new landlady came to my door in the morning and offered to give me a tour of Peterborough. I accepted, despite my well known distaste for making conversation with unknown people. I figured I should turn over a new leaf and all. After the tour, which also consisted of Landlady running errands, whilst I stood around awkwardly, we returned home. She offered milk and bread and help with grocceries, and asked if there was anything I needed. I wanted to say "vodka," but I just smiled and said "no thank you." And just this morning, as I managed to escape out of what I thought was an empty house, I was cut off by Landlord pulling into the driveway. He waved, I waved, and I thought that was that. But then again, another offer of help, questioning if there was anything I needed. The new landpeople sure are nice, but they're awfully parental.

Anyhow, my main achievements yesterday were procuring my student card, school books and wine. I am now the proud owner of an entire book about mould. I am now the proud owner of "Rust Never Sleeps" a terrifyingly titled book about metal corrosion.

I supposed that will be all for today. Tune in next time, as I begin my exploration of Peterborough's seedy underbelly.

2 comments:

  1. yay! i am excited for you. we'll see you this week or on the weekend for sure.

    ps. I believe what you are experiencing isn't landlord parental-ness, it's small town-ness. You'll get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You MUST find out if Sneaky Pete's still exists. This is crucial.

    ReplyDelete